Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Moms sure are Memory Makers in the Kitchen

Some of my best and earliest memories are those that I made while watching and "helping" my mom in the kitchen as a little girl. I can remember when I was big enough to sit on the counter while my mom worked on something over the stove and getting to help her stir the pot every once in a while as long as she didn't think I was going to burn myself by dancing around up there.  As I wrap up my week long postings about favorite holiday dishes, I would be remiss if I didn't add that I have only touched on a very limited few of my favorites over the past several days. Mostly just noting the holiday foods or drinks that I feel like are fun when entertaining and easy to share. As a true southerner to the core I can tell you that the kitchen has always been the heart of my home and it's where so many of the best memories have been made, both during my childhood and even more so now that I have children of my own. Today I'd like to finish out my recipe posts (for now) with two more holiday must haves for our family. 

During the month of December I am constantly baking.  Cookies, candies, cakes, and pies and I love to do it.  It's certainly not been as easy to find the time for this hobby since my little guys came along, so my made from scratch bourbon pecan pie has been put on the back burner the past few years as I now seem to lean towards the quicker and less hands on recipes.  Making something that my toddler can help with or something that he looks forward to has made my projects that much sweeter and it warms my heart to realize that these are indeed the moments that memories are made of.  When working on my annual pralined pecans yesterday I was surprised by the fact that upon awaking from afternoon nap time my toddler recognized by scent what was happening.  "What's that smell mommy?  It's my pecans, yummy!  You baking them for meeee?"   Now I hadn't made them just for him, but he was my official taster as they came out of the oven.  How could I not hand them right over when he was sitting there on a step stool watching them bake?  I knew in that moment that I would have to share that memory with you, as well as my pralined pecan recipe. 
Praline Pecans

What you need:
  • 1 egg white
  • 4 teaspoons water
  • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 pound pecan halves


What you do:
  • Preheat an oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  • Beat the egg in a bowl until frothy; whisk the water and vanilla into the egg. Stir the sugar, cinnamon, and salt into the egg mixture. Add the pecans; stir to coat completely. Spread the pecans onto the prepared baking sheet.
  • Roast the pecans in the preheated oven, stirring about every 15 minutes, until the coating forms a glaze, about 1 hour.
I found this recipe several years ago on a recipe site, modified it and have been using it ever since.  I usually get rave reviews when I give out these candied pecans as presents each year.  I've tried it once with almonds but the pecans are so much softer and seem to work better with this glaze.  It will store well in any air tight container.  I have often used these chopped up on top of whipped cream when serving pecan pie and it taste great.  Enjoy!

I hope that when my boys are old and gray that they'll still think of me with love when they sneak into a candy store for praline samples. 

On Friday my husband posted his latest burger idea, which of course we tried before blogging about, and it was delicious. As soon as we sat down and took our first bites my husband grew nostalgic because the spices in his meatloaf burger reminded him of a meat pie that his mom makes around the holidays. It's called Tourtiere, pronounced tuut k, and is one his favorite dishes. Because my Yankee husband moved South so long ago and now we have two wild children at home, it has not been easy getting him back up there for Christmas, and this is a dish he misses most when celebrating the holiday away from his family. I have yet to make this dish myself. To be honest it's always been a bit foreign to me because I had never had it until his mom made it during one of our visits. It just wasn't something I grew up eating, but it's delicious and comforting and taste like a hearty helping of their family history. I'm grateful my mom in law was happy to share her recipe with you, and even happier that she typed it up to share and even paired it with a wine for you too. I love when my job gets easier!


Tourtiere
No Christmas Holiday is complete without a sampling of this traditional French Canadian meat pie. Serve it with pickled beets.
Wine suggestion: Mirassou Pinot Noir

Meat Filling:
1 lb. ground pork
 ½ lb. ground beef
¾ cup finely chopped yellow onion
 ¼ tsp. ground allspice
¼ tsp. ground cloves
 ½ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
¾ cup water
1 lb. russet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces

Egg Wash:
 1 egg yolk
 1 tsp. water

Pie Crust: you can make this or purchase your favorite

1. Put all meat ingredients (except potatoes) into a wide, heavy pot. Break up meat and cook over high until water starts to boil. Cover and simmer on low for 1 hour. If mixture becomes dry, add a few tablespoons of water as needed. (adjust spiced to taste)
2. After filling has cooked for an hour, add potatoes. Cover and simmer over low for 30 to 35 minutes until potatoes are tender. Uncover and cook off any excess moisture.
3. Remove from heat. Mash potatoes into meat. Set aside to cool to room temperature, 20 min.
4. Place meat filling into a pie crust. Cover with another pie crust. Mix egg yolk and water and brush over top pie crust. Cut 4 slashes into top crust. Bake in lower third of oven until golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve hot.
Pie will keep 4 days. It may also be frozen for up to 3 months.
*Crock pot version: Place all meat filling ingredients (except water) in crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours.

Let me know if you try these recipes and how you like them.  It's back to wrapping presents for me so I'll let you get back to it.  I am sure you have a lot of holiday memories of your own to make this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment